Clipsal C2025 WE issues

I set about the relatively simple task of replacing a faulty PDL GPO (general purpose outlet – a power point) with a Clipsal double GPO.

The experience might give readers cause for concern if they have Australian made Clipsal C2025 WE GPOs (pictured above) in their residence, workshop or workplace. The label “5” is an addition, the GPO does not have a part number or manufacturing batch / date on it anywhere.

So, I drew a sealed package from the box above to install.

Above, as I was preparing it for installation, I noticed the gray plastic molding had cracked and it was unsafe to use.

Above is a view of the internal parts when removed from the white plastic front. Note that when a plug is inserted, it pushes against the metallic contacts, flexing the remaining restraints on the left side, so it it likely to fail sooner rather than later and the live parts become detached inside the wall space giving rise to risk of electrocution or fire.

Above is the white plastic front. No apparent flaws

Above is another sealed package drawn from the box. The part number is visible on the plastic bag, “C2025 WE”, but it is not on any of the parts inside the bag.

I drew another and another, of the 7 items in the box when I started (3 had already been used in the past), 6 of them had cracks visible through the packaging.

These are new parts, never used, and 4 of them remain in the factory sealed bags.

I did attempt to lodge a warranty claim, mainly to notify Clipsal of the dangerous failure of these . Their automated claim facility will not accept the part number printed on the box and on the individual bags. GOTCHA.

I contacted Clipsal’s technical support, and they were uninterested in the failure. Perhaps the prospect of a wide scale product safety recall was a factor… imagine the cost if they had to pay an electrician to inspect every installed GPO that looked like this (remember, no part number on the GPO, no batch number or manufacturing date at all, much less visible to an unlicenced person.)

I have 28 of these installed, and it was quite a job to inspect all of them for cracks that might have occurred post installation. That was a short term measure as cracks may yet occur, I will replace them with Chinese jobbies from Bunnings which will probably be safer in the long term in terms of electrocution risk or fire risk.