Power Amplifier Run On Timer (PAROT) (Duffy 2013) reported some measurements of the voltage withstand of Veroboard. Voltage withstand between tracks was observed to be just over 1400Vpk.
This article reports some further measurements of genuine Vero strip board.
Above is the test piece.
The initial test was before the two tracks cuts were made. The new board from a pack was cleaned (they are pre-coated with flux), and then given a heavy coat of acrylic PCB laquer that was hot air dried. Voltage withstand between the two wires was measured. Flashover occurred at 2800Vpk (50Hz AC), the point of flashover is the small black mark at the left lower end of the second track from the top.
The two track cuts were then drilled and a further heavy coat of lacquer applied and hot air dried. Flashover occurred at 2700Vpk (50Hz AC), the point of flashover is the small black mark at the right end of the energised second track from the top.
- (Duffy 2013) reported measurement of voltage withstand of just over 1400Vpk between two clean / bare tracks.
- This article reports measurements with clean tracks given a heavy coat of acrylic PCB lacquer at 2800Vpk, a little less when the track is cut with a drill.
- A heavy coat of hot air dried PCB lacquer appears to nearly double the voltage withstand between tracks.
- The case of the cut track at 2700Vpk is 7.5 times the peak voltage of a mains supply at 230Vrms+10% (the supply limits).
- Duffy, O. March 2013. Power Amplifier Run On Timer (PAROT). http://owenduffy.net/module/parot/index.htm.